Ah.. the irony!
If you feel the need to fracture a rule or two, I think you might need some guidelines. So here are some suggestions (feel free to add your own):
- Start with why – understand what the rule is intended to achieve;
- Challenge the rule – speak with the creator and explain its shortcomings;
- Listen to the answer. No, REALLY listen. You might change your mind;
- If you still feel the need, make sure that you are motivated by letting the good happen. Flagrant iconoclasm will annoy people;
- Take personal responsibility for the consequences.