Rules for rules… the (il)logical sequel. Bureaucracy doesn’t get any better than this!
If you feel the need to create a rule or two, I think you might need some guidelines. So here are some suggestions (feel free to add your own):
- Start with why – understand what the rule is intended to achieve;
- Ask yourself ‘Is it really necessary?”, “What purpose will it serve?”;
- Listen to the answer. No, REALLY listen. You might change your mind;
- If you still feel the need, make sure that you understand the impact that it will have. Insensitive regulations will annoy people;
- Take personal responsibility for the rule – keep it up-to-date and dump it as soon as it is no longer required.