Bill George is one of my favourite thinkers/writers on leadership. Several years ago I read his book True North and it is one of my all-time favourites. It has influenced and changed me – hopefully for the better.
So, I was delighted to listen to him talking on the HBR Ideacast recently.
Here are some of the salient points.
- To be an authentic leader is to know your inner self.
- You must be true to yourself, but adjust to the prevailing circumstances. This is not always easy.
- It’s easy to be real when things are going well.
- You must be willing to admit mistakes, no matter how embarrassing.
- You should show your feelings, to connect with the hearts of those around you.
- You need to acknowledge that you need help – you cannot do/know everything.
- You should celebrate diversity. Your organisation should reflect its customer base.
- Trust is measured at the top of the organisation.
This is a very challenging list. I wonder how I’ll measure up to it today?